Feature Friday | Meet Greg Hoskins


For this week's Feature Friday post, we are happy to introduce Greg Hoskins, of Greg Hoskins Photography. What can we say, we're loving the modern, yet almost vintage style he shoots (just wait until you see some of the pictures we'll show on Tuesday!); the industry around here is all sorts of buzzing about Greg and his work and so we're thrilled to get to know him a little better:

- How long have you been photographing weddings?

I have been photographing weddings for 3 years now. I attended my best friend’s wedding in Indiana a few years back and at the reception, the photographer had a slideshow playing of some of their engagement pictures as well as some of the pictures taken throughout the wedding day. So many people were gathered around watching these beautiful images play and I just stood back and observed everyone’s reactions to these images. I had an immediate draw to the connection these people had to the images and that was the moment I knew I wanted to photograph as many couples in love as I could.

- What's your favorite thing about weddings?

The raw emotion that swings from laughter to tears to joy throughout the day. All of the people and their connection with others. I feel incredibly lucky to be a part of a couple’s lives for a day and not only capture what happened, but how they felt.

- Tell us one thing about yourself we'd be surprised to learn about you?

I was almost kidnapped when I was younger…twice! Once with my brother walking home from school and once in a mall bathroom in Illinois. Be sure to ask me if you see me and I’d be happy to tell the stories.

- Favorite color?

It changes often but right now it’s blue.

- Tully's, Moxie, or Starbucks?

To be honest, I don’t like coffee. I like the smell and atmosphere of coffee shops, but not the taste of the coffee itself. You’re more likely to find me at a quaint pub that has a good quality IPA on tap.

- Recommend a book we should read?

Something else I don’t normally partake in is reading. I’m a very active person so sitting and reading a book is not really my speed. My wife Rachel reads enough books for the both of us, and then some. I just asked her this question and she recommends “Merle’s Door” by Ted Kerasote.

- What (or who) can't you live without? (product, article of clothing,
personal item, person in your life, etc)

Music. Music is an incredible way to feel connected to something, whether that something is a person, a place, a memory or event. I’ve started to experiment with incorporating music into my sessions and it has been a very moving experience so far.

- Tell us about a time you either made a mistake & learned from it, or
felt fear or doubt (either in your personal life or business) and overcame it?

It’s not a fear, per se, but a challenge. The challenge of letting go of all preconceived notions or “labels” I may bring to the day. I overcome that by realizing that every person I work with is unique and individual and deserves to be seen that way. This opens up endless possibilities and allows me to explore paths I may not have otherwise seen.

Thanks again Greg for sharing a little about yourself with us! And don't be surprised if you see us joining you at that little quaint pub for that IPA! Join us again on Tuesday for Greg's tips on choosing the right photographer for you. In the meantime, be sure check his website and blog out:

Greg Hoskins Photography
http://www.greghoskins.com
http://www.greghoskins.com/blog

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails